Harry O. Finklea, Ph.D.
Ph.D., California Institute of Technology
Research interests are in the area of energy conversion by electrochemical devices, particularly solid oxide fuel cells; desalination of produced water, extraction of critical materials from waste, and biofilm removal from orthopaedic implants by electrolysis.
ORISE Faculty Fellow at the National Energy Technology Laboratory, Morgantown, WV
Co-PI on EPSCoR grant “Improving Water Management, Treatment and Recovery in Oil and Gas Production”, joint WVU/U. Kansas project, $3.9M for 4 years.
Co-PI on O'Brien Energy Research Seed Grants: "Advanced extraction of critical materials" and "Solid oxide electrolysis cells for energy storage".
CHEM 215 (Quantitative
CHEM 313 (Instrumental Analysis Lab)
CHEM 401 (Chemical
CHEM 403 (Chemistry Seminar)
CHEM 713 (Electrochemistry)
Publications1. "Characterization and electrolytic cleaning of poly(methyl methacrylate) residues on transferred chemical vapor deposited graphene", Jianbo Sun, Harry O Finklea and Yuxin Liu, Nanotechnology 2017, 28, 125703 (9pp).
5. “Mass Spectrometry of SOFC Fuel Mixtures Containing Phosphine”, Harry O. Finklea, Wei Zhang, Mahfuzur Jony, and Berk Demirgok, J. Electrochem. Soc. 2015, 162(9), F1101-F1105
6. “Synthesis and characterization of N-2-aryl-1,2,3-triazole based iridium complexes as photocatalysts with tunable photoredox potential”, Rong Cai, Wuming Yan, Matthew G. Bologna, Kaushalya de Silva, Zhao Ma, Harry O. Finklea, Jeffrey L. Petersen, Minyong Li, Xiaodong Shi, Organic Chemistry Frontiers 2015, 2(2), 141-144.
7. “Examination of the mechanism for the reversible aging behavior at open circuit when changing the operating temperature of (La0.8Sr0.2)0.95MnO3 electrodes”’ Harry Abernathy, Harry O. Finklea, David S. Mebane, Xueyan Song, Yun Chen, Kirk Gerdes, Solid State Ionics 2015, 272, 144-154.
8. “Micro scale dynamic modeling of LSM/YSZ composite cathodes”, Suryanarayana Pakalapati, Kirk Gerdes, Harry Finklea, Mingyang Gong, Xingbo Liu, Ismail Celik, Solid State Ionics 2014, 258, 45-60.
9. “Analysis of SOFCs Using Reference Electrodes”’ Harry Finklea, Xiaoke Chen, Kirk Gerdes, Suryanarayana Pakalapati, and Ismail Celik, J. Electrochem. Soc. 2013, 160(9), F1055-F1066.
10. “Microstructure degradation of YSZ in Ni/YSZ anodes of SOFC operated in phosphine-containing fuels”, Yun Chen , Song Chen, Gregory Hackett, Harry Finklea, John Zondlo, Ismail Celik, Xueyan Song, Kirk Gerdes, Solid State Ionics 2013, 234, 25-32.
11. “Reversible aging behavior of La0.8Sr0.2MnO3 electrodes at open circuit”, Harry Abernathy, Harry O. Finklea, David S. Mebane, Xiaoke Chen, Kirk Gerdes, Maria D. Salazar-Villalpando, Journal of Power Sources 2012, 216, 11-14.
12. “Crystal defects of yttria stabilized zirconia in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells and their evolution upon cell operation”, Song Chen, Yun Chen, Harry Finklea, Xueyan Song, Gregory Hackett, Kirk Gerdes, Solid State Ionics 2012, 206, 104-111..