Gregory Dudley, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2000; NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 2000-2002 (Curriculum Vitae, 2023)
Leadership and Service
As Chair, I help lead and support the Department of Chemistry. Chemistry plays a central role in the arts and sciences curriculum of the Eberly College, the land-grant mission of West Virginia University, and the global innovation economy. Innovations in chemistry support advances in health care, energy, sustainability, and other grand societal challenges. In our research, teaching, and service, the Department of Chemistry fosters and promotes critical thinking and communication skills, creativity and problem-solving, and mastery of complex and abstract subjects, creating knowledge and preparing students to make positive impacts in their careers, communities, and society.
Organic synthesis, reaction methodology and technology, and medicinal chemistry
The fundamental goal of the Dudley lab is to devise, develop, and apply new ideas in organic chemistry to the efficient synthesis of complex molecules, particularly natural products with medicinal applications. Natural products research impacts the development of many important drugs including aspirin, penicillin, and Taxol. The ability to recreate and refine the molecular architecture of complex natural products through organic synthesis is key to understanding and ultimately leveraging these systems to improve human health. Our research aims to enable advances in modern medicine through innovations in the science and practice of organic synthesis.
Representative Recent Publications
- Tavakoli, A.; Dudley, G. B. Synthesis of coprinol and several alcyopterosin sesquiterpenes by regioselective [2 + 2 + 2] alkyne cyclotrimerization. J. Org. Chem. 2022, 87, 14909–14914.
- Fulo, H. F.; Rueb, N. J.; Gaston, R., Jr.; Batsomboon, P.; Ahmed, K. T.; Barrios, A. M.; Dudley, G. B. Synthesis of illudalic acid and analogous phosphatase inhibitors. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2021, 19, 10596–10600.
- Fulo, H. F.; Shoeib, A.; Cabanlong, C. V.; Williams, A. H.; Zhan, C.-G.; Prather, P. L.; Dudley, G. B. Synthesis, molecular pharmacology, and structure-activity relationships of 3-(indanoyl)indoles as selective cannabinoid type 2 receptor antagonists. J. Med. Chem. 2021, 64, 6381–6396.
- Highlighted in Synfacts 2021, 17, 0816
- Gaston, R., Jr.; Geldenhuys, W. J.; Dudley, G. B. Synthesis of illudinine from dimedone and identification of activity as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. J. Org. Chem. 2020, 85, 13429–13437.
- Selected as a JOC Featured Article
- Tavakoli, A.; Stiegman, A. E.; Dudley, G. B. Mixed solvent system for selective microwave heating: accelerated thermal reaction kinetics of a microwave-transparent substrate. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2022, 24, 2794–2799.
- Selected as a PCCP HOT Article
- Frasso, M. A.; Stiegman, A. E.; Dudley, G. B. Microwave-specific acceleration of a retro-Diels-Alder reaction. Chem. Commun. 2020, 56, 11247–11250.
- Featured in a Chemistry World news article