Jessica Hoover, Ph.D.
Dr. Hoover received her PhD from the University of Washington, Seattle under the direction of Professors Jim Mayer and Forrest Michael and continued as a postdoctoral fellow in the group of Professor Shannon Stahl at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. She joined the department at WVU as an Assistant Professor in 2012 and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2018. Her research group at WVU focuses on developing and understanding new catalytic reactions, particularly C-C and C-heteroatom bond forming redox reactions, employing first-row transition metal catalysts.
Prof. Hoover has also initiated CESTA (Community Engagement in Science Through Art), a 1-month summer program that is run in collaboration with Jason Lee (WVU College of Creative Arts, Sculpture) and Todd Hamrick (WVU Statler College, Engineering and Robotics). More information on the program can be found at the CESTA website: https://cestaprogram.com
organometallic chemistry, catalysis, new reaction development, kinetics and mechanistic
Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
Chem 233. Organic Chemistry I
Chem 335. Methods: Structure Determination
Chem 339. Organic Syntheses
Chem 521. Organometallics
- “Cobalt-Cata lyzed Aerobic Oxidative Cyclization of 2-Aminophenols with Isonitriles: 2-Aminophenol Enabled O2 Activation by Cobalt(II)” Liu, J.; Hoover, J. M. Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 4510-4514.
- “Nickel-Catalyzed Oxidative Decarboxylative Annulation for the Synthesis of Heterocycle-Containing Phenanthridinones” Honeycutt, A. P.; Hoover, J. M. Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 7216-7219.
- “A Predictive Model for the Decarboxylation of Silver Benzoate Complexes Relevant to Decarboxylative Coupling Reactions” Crovak, R. A.; Hoover, J. M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 2434-2437.
- “Nickel-Catalyzed Oxidative Decarboxylative (Hetero)Arylation of Unactivated C-H Bonds: Ni and Ag Synergy” Honeycutt, A. P.; Hoover, J. M. ACS Catal. 2017, 7, 4597-4601.
- "Silver-Mediated Oxidative Decarboxylative Trifluoromethylthiolation of Coumarin-3-Carboxylic Acids" Li, M.; Petersen, J. L; Hoover, J. M. Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 638-641.
- "Copper and Silver Benzoate and Aryl Complexes and Their Implications for Oxidative Decarboxylative Coupling Reactions" Baur, A.; Bustin, K. A.; Aguilera, E.; Petersen, J. L; Hoover, J. M. Org. Chem. Front. 2017, 4, 519-524.
- “Mechanistic Aspects of Copper-Catalyzed Decarboxylative Coupling Reactions of (Hetero)aryl Carboxylic Acids” Hoover, J. M. Comments on Inorganic Chemistry 2017, 37, 169-200.
- “Formation of Di-tert-butylurea from a Mononuclear Iron Tris(isocyanide) Complex” Gowda, A. S.; Baur, A.; Scaggs, C. A.; Petersen, J. L.; Hoover, J. M. Organometallics 2016, 35, 3720-3727.
- “Aerobic Copper-Catalyzed Decarboxylative Thiolation” Li, M.; Hoover, J. M. Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 8733-8736.
- “Copper-Catalyzed Oxidative Decarboxylative C-H Arylation of Benzoxazoles with 2-Nitrobenzoic Acids” Chen, L.; Ju, L.; Bustin, K. A.; Hoover, J. M. Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 15059-15062.