Fabien Goulay, Ph.D.
Dr. Goulay received his PhD from the University of Rennes (France) under the direction of Dr Bertrand Rowe and continued as a postdoctoral fellow first in the group of Prof. Stephen Leone at UC Berkeley and then with Dr Hope A. Michelsen at Sandia National Laboratories. He joined the faculty at WVU in 2011 as an assistant professor and was promoted to associate professor in 2017.
The 3 major research areas in the Goulay Laboratory are (i) formation and reaction of large hydrocarbon radicals, (ii) multiphase processes at the surface of atmospheric and biomass aerosols, and (iii) radical chemistry under high-energy conditions found in plasma assisted environments. This is achieved through a combination of advanced laser- and synchrotron-based spectroscopic techniques coupled to gas flow reactors. The experimental outcomes are used to propose elementary free radical chemical mechanisms toward developing predictive combustion models.
Chemical dynamics; energy science; heterogeneous chemistry; nanoparticles; lasers applied to chemistry; mass spectrometry; synchrotron photoionization.
CHEM 747 - Molecular Spectroscopy
CHEM 348 - Physical Chemistry II
- "Product Detection of the CH (X2Π) Radical Reaction with Cyclopentadiene:
Novel Route to Benzene", Caster, K. L., Selby, T. L., Osborn, D. L.,
Le Picard, S. D, Goulay, F.
Journal of Physical Chemistry A
125, 6927-6939 (2021)
- "Kinetic study of the CN radical reaction with 2-methylfuran", Lee, J., Caster,
K. L., Maddaleno, T, Donnellan, Z. N., Selby, T. M., Goulay, F.
International Journal of Chemical Kinetics
52, 838-851 (2020)
- "Effect of Bulk Composition on the Heterogeneous Oxidation of Semi-Solid Atmospheric
Aerosols", H. Fan and F. Goulay
Atmosphere 10, 791, 1-17 (2019)
- "Kinetic Investigations of the CH (X2Π) Radical Reaction with Cyclopentadiene", K. L. Caster, Z. N. Donnellan, T. M. Selby, F. Goulay Journal of Physical Chemistry A 123, 5692-5703 (2019).
- "Product Detection of the CH Radical Reactions With Ammonia and Methyl-Substituted Amines", Bourgalais, J., Caster, K. L., Durif, O., Osborn, D. L., Le Picard, S. R., and Goulay, F. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 123, 2178-2193 (2019).
- "Effect of surface-bulk partitioning on the heterogeneous oxidation of aqueous saccharide aerosols", Fan, H, Masaya T.W., and Goulay F. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics , 21, 2992-3001 (2019)